- Tools & Templates
- Security Jobs
- Data Protection
- Identity & Access
- Business Continuity
- Physical Security
- Security Leadership
Data breach or not, changing your LinkedIn password is a smart idea
According to various published reports, LinkedIn is looking into a data breach where the bad guys made off with millions of passwords. True or not, it's another reminder that we should change all our passwords regularly.
One such report on the breach comes from Business Insider, which reported that "6.5 million encrypted passwords have leaked, reports Norwegian IT site Dagens IT (found via The Next Web). The passwords were shared via a Russian hacker site, and security researcher Per Thorsheim confirms that the leak is legit."
Another report in Sophos' Naked Security blog says:
"A file containing 6,458,020 SHA-1 unsalted password hashes has been posted on the internet, and hackers are working together to crack them. Although the data which has been released so far does not include associated email addresses, it is reasonable to assume that such information may be in the hands of the criminals.
"Investigations by Sophos researchers have confirmed that the file does contain, at least in part, LinkedIn passwords. As such, it would seem sensible to suggest to all LinkedIn users that they change their passwords as soon as possible as a precautionary step. Of course, make sure that the password you use is unique (in other words, not used on any other websites), and hard to crack.
"If you were using the same passwords on other websites -- make sure to change them too. And never again use the same password on multiple websites."
I've changed my password. You should do the same.
Thanks to cloud computing, your business data is everywhere and being accessed by everyone. Making the wrong decision to protect your data can result in high costs, increased risk and executive exposure. View this live webinar on cloud security and the evolving data center, and learn why a data-centric approach to security is the best bet for today's virtual environment.
- Redefine Business Portability
- Prevent Mobile Devices from Loading Dangerous Code
- Expanding Your Security Perimeter: Common Sense for Navigating Today's Threat Landscape
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager
- IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager: Online Product Demo
- Webinar: IBM IIM for Fraud, Abuse and Waste in Government
- Thwarting DDoS Attacks with Cloud Defenses
- Data Center Insight: 6 ways to Prevent Mistakes that Have Cost others Millions
- HP & CIO: Making virtualization strategic
- Bridging the IT Gap: A Fresh Approach to Infrastructure Management
- IBM PureFlex and Flex System: Infrastructure for IT Efficiency
- Accelerating Solution Deployment with IBM PureFlex and Flex System